Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Books

Oh god- this is going to take a long time. So, I'll start with the first ten that I read at the beginning of the year and see where that takes me.

Yes, they are children's books. I got them for Christmas from my mother. She is awesome and cleaned out my Amazon wish list. O.O It's research! For science! (Actually for art.)

1. Beauty and the Beast by Angela Barrett Illu. by Max Eilenberg
2. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
3. Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave by Marianna Mayer, Illu. by K.Y. Craft
4. The Ballad of the Pirate Queens by Jane Yolen, Illu. by David Shannon
5. Aida by Leontyne Price, Illu. by Leo and Diane Dillon
6. The Lady and the Lion by Laurel Long and Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Illu. by Laurel Long
7. The Sea King's Daughter by Aaron Shepard, Illu. by Gennady Spirin
8. Alice in Wonderland and 9. The Wizard of Oz both Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger
10. Alaskan Field Sketches 1954-1956 from William D. Berry

Next up- random novels that I have read this year.
11. Sabriel, 12. Lirael, 13. Abhorsen by Garth Nix
14. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
15. Dune by Frank Herbert
16. Dragonflight by Anne McCaffery
17. This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman
18. To the King a Daughter by Andre Norton and Sasha Miller
19. The Serpents Shadow, 20. The Gates of Sleep, 21. Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey
22. Cry Wolf, 23. Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
24. Archangel by Sharon Shinn
25. Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia McKillip
26. Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner
27. Caspar and the Secret Kingdom by Miranda Seymour, Illu. by Lois Allard (yes, another children's book, but it might as well be a novel- it's so long!)

Okay. Here be Romance Novels. You have been warned. Yes- I read them. Usually I can get through one in a day, so there are a lot. I also happen to have favorite authors.

28. Dark Angel, 29. Lord Carew's Bride by Mary Balogh
30. Someday Soon by Joan Wolf
31. Rules of Engagement by Christina Dodd
32. The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (alas the only book I have been disappointed with in some time), 33. What Happens in London, 34. Splendid by Julia Quinn
35. Scent of Darkness, 36. Into the Shadow, 37. Into the Flame by Christina Dodd (someday I will get the second one Touch of Darkness even though I know how the series ends. I am a completionist.)
38. Storm of Visions, 39. Storm of Shadows by Christina Dodd (and this series looks like there might be five or six books...)
40. The Duke and I, 41. The Viscount Who Loved Me, 42. An Offer From a Gentleman, 43. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton, 44. To Sir Phillip With Love, 45. When He Was Wicked, 46. It's In His Kiss, 47. On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Oh yes- more that I forgot about reading this year. Actually it's more likely that I reread these over and over again so that I don't really remember when was the last time I read them. They are kinda my constants, my comfort reads.

48. Beauty, 49. The Blue Sword, 50. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
51. Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia Wrede
52. The Serpent Garden by Judith Merkle Riley

To Be Read pile:
The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig
Odd Thomas, Odd Hours, Brother Odd by Dean Kuntz

Well, that wraps up that. A little more than 50 books in 6 months isn't bad. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to reread stuff (not that that's bad, just some variety would be nice and I don't count them twice (or thrice) in this list.)
During this post I was able to do two complete loads of laundry (sadly there is still more to go), change the bed, and do the dishes. I should however by working on a website or business cards or a logo. (sigh) What I wish to be working on is my Beauty and the Beast poster...

No comments: